Extended Post-Study Work Rights for International Graduates in USA

Extended Post-Study Work Rights For International Graduates In USA

By: Emily Wilson

Every student wishes to start their career in the USA, which is deemed to be the most promising nation when it comes to providing benefits to international students. Most international students who study or choose to study in the United States want to integrate into this economically and culturally advanced society. 

In recent years, the United States has made great progress in increasing its appeal as a study-abroad hotspot. Expanding post-study employment rights for foreign graduates in the USA is a significant move that has drawn attention from all over the world. The graduates themselves gain from this transition, and it also improves the intellectual and economic climate of the nation.

US Work Visa
If you are an overseas student planning to reside and work in the United States after graduating, you must have a post study work visa in the USA. In this simple guide, we'll give all the details about the United States Work Visa and how to extend your stay in the USA.  

Different Kinds of Student Visas needed to get Post Study work visa permits in the USA

You can apply for a work permit after studying in the United States with one of three distinct types of US student visas: the F-1, M-1, and J-visa. These visas are required for international students who want to enroll in US colleges. 

F-1 Visa: The US grants an F-1 visa, a non-immigrant visa, to students who wish to pursue full-time studies in the US. In order to attend a seminary, university, seminary, training programs in language, private elementary schools, or other educational institutions in the US, individuals can apply for an F-1 visa. After earning a master's degree, you need this visa to get a USA work visa permit.

M-1 Visa: This non-immigrant visa is for international students who want to enroll at a reputable vocational or other approved non-academic institution, like a post-secondary business or vocational school that does not provide entirely academic courses. These courses could be culinary and art lessons, aviation school, technological courses, etc. 

J-1 Visa: Foreign citizens who wish to take part in a J-1 exchange visitor program are granted a temporary visa, known as a J-1 visa. Students can instruct, lecture, conduct research, teach, and exhibit particular abilities. You can also apply for this visa if you want to pursue medical study or training.

US Work Visa Permit Following F-1 Study Visa

International Students have the benefit of working in the USA if they have an F1 visa. Before or after finishing their studies, F1 visa holders can apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT). OPT enables overseas students to work for up to a year in their field of study after graduation. To extend post study work visa, eligible students should apply for OPT to acquire up to 12 months of OPT employment authorization, which is issued after you complete your studies. 

After completing your education, the employment you secure in the USA must be specifically relevant to your area of study. After graduating, you have 90 days to locate employment. Nine months after enrolling, you can start the OPT application procedure. However, you cannot begin working until after receiving your Employment Authorization Document (EAD) from USCIS and enrolling for at least a year. You should also keep in mind that you may apply for an EAD without having a job and that OPT can happen in any part of the US.

The USA's dedication to encouraging global talent and innovation is demonstrated by the country's decision to expand post-study employment privileges for international graduates. This change in policy helps not just the graduates but also the American economy and society as a whole. International graduates can extend post graduate work permits to create rewarding careers and contribute to the development and prosperity of the country. Students can get help from this blog and be aware of the possibilities available to make the most of their career in the USA.